Sunday, May 16, 2010

Just Smile!!!!!

Ok, I have facebooked about this and maybe even mentioned it here on this little blog, but today I am so fed-up! Can I just pull the shades and hang out at my house for the next 3 weeks??

Why is it that when you start to get really pregnant everybody thinks they can talk about your body!?! You think since this is my 4th kid that I would be used to the comments, but as this baby seems to be a bit bigger than the last one was(I'm sure of it), my belly is the focal point of nearly every casual conversation! These are a few of the latest comments. On Friday, I went to one of the local high schools to watch "Guys and Dolls", it was far from professional, but my daughter and I still enjoyed the music and being together. The woman taking tickets at the door took one look at me and said, "When are you due? Are you going to make it through the performance?"

Are you kidding me right now?

I wanted to retort, "actually no, I love lots of drama, so I plan on going into labor right in the middle of the show and stealing all the performers thunder!" Instead I just smiled and said, "a few more weeks...".

Then today at church some guy(who I have never talked to in my life) said as he walked by, "Wow, it's going to be a big baby"! Thank you kind sir for reminding me of how huge my belly is. Did I mention this guy is fairly portly? I wanted to quip "So, when are you expecting?" Or maybe, "Have a big breakfast this morning? It shows!" Instead I just smiled and when he passed, rolled my eyes as far back as they could go and that made me feel a little bit better.
I know I need to grow some thicker skin, but I am already feeling as big as a house, and majorly uncomfortable too, so I just don't need complete strangers making me feel like a circus clown who has left his stage makeup on while he roams about his everyday life. I know all you women out there who have had babies know what I am talking about!

For the next few weeks you will catch me smiling. Smiling through all the thoughtless comments, the aching hips, the tree stumps that are my ankles. I know that in the end I will be smiling(for real) as I hold my new precious baby girl in my arms.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

You poor thing. I was sooo there, at right around the same time I wanted to walk the mall but got so many stares and felt so self conscious! I think it's just amazing too how people think once you're far along in your pregnancy that they have free reign to say whatever they want. I can't wait to "meet" you new baby girl! I'm only about 15 weeks now and already getting stares... Probably because I showed wayyyy early this time and because I'm at the point right now where people can't decide if I'm pregnant or have a "leftover" baby belly! Haha!

Thelissa said...

Even worse is when random people think they can touch your belly. I am ok with family or whatever doing the quick belly rub, but not strangers at the store. Yes, that has happened! It's like when you are pregnant suddenly they have rights to your body and rights to speak their mind. Well for rude!:)

kristi said...

People are rude. Sorry. They just are. I won't excuse them or try to make you feel better about their thoughtless comments. They obviously cannot distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate remarks.
Also, you're obviously kinder than I am, because I would be too tempted to call people out on their bad behavior. How embarrassing for them!

The Hedquists said...

Let those wild hormones out and attack you sassy cat! At least you're not in Asia where the people love to lift the hooter hider (and no I'm not being raunchy--that is a brand name folks!) to catch a glimpse of your baby as she is nursing. . . .

Babydoll said...

Yep, I know how you feel. I am Primary chorister, so I was up in front of the kids until a few days before the baby was born. All of the Primary teachers thought they were being 'nice' by making comments about my cute, huge belly. I was REALLY sick of church by the end of each Sunday and I kept saying that I wasn't going to go back the next week. Hang in there.